EU prepares countermeasures on US tariffs in case negotiations fail

The European Union is preparing countermeasures in response to the latest US trade tariffs in case negotiations with Washington fail, Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said early on Thursday morning. 

On Wednesday, as expected, US president Donald Trump announced reciprocal import tariffs against countries that have import duties against the US. For the EU, this means tariffs of 20 per cent.

Von der Leyen said she “deeply regrets” Trump’s decision. “The consequences will be dire for millions of people around the world,” she said. “This is the opposite of what we want to achieve.”

"The consequences will be dire for millions of people around the world"

The EU was prepared to negotiate with Washington, she said, but was also ready to respond. She called the tariffs “a major blow” to the global economy. 

The Belgian government is studying the impact of the measures and will consult with the sectors concerned.

“We will react quickly and assertively, proportionately and unitedly, with a strategy that protects our economy,” said Foreign Affairs minister and deputy prime minister Maxime Prévot. 

Website preview
Flemish breweries rush beer exports to US after tariff threat
Several Flemish breweries are anticipating the 200 per cent tariffs on alcohol imports from the EU which US president Donald Trump on Thursday...
belganewsagency.eu

“It would indeed be inappropriate to take measures that could harm us more than the United States. But by playing with matches, the United States will end up getting burned. The knock-on effect for their own economic dynamics seems to be neglected by Washington,” he said.

He added that Belgium continued to advocate for dialogue: “Everyone loses in trade disputes … On this new front, the European Union must also show its unity and strength.”

"The knock-on effect for their own economic dynamics seems to be neglected by Washington"

The bloc is finalising the first package of countermeasures in response to tariffs on steel, Von der Leyen said at a summit in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. “And we are now preparing further countermeasures to protect our interests and our companies if the negotiations fail.”

The EU had already announced tariffs on a range of American products after the US set 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminium. These were initially due to come into force in part on 1 April and in part on 13 April, but the Commission decided to implement the entire package on 13 April, allowing more room for negotiations.

Ursula von der Leyen at a press conference in Samarkand; 3 April 2025 © PHOTO VYACHESLAV OSELEDKO / AFP
Ursula von der Leyen at a press conference in Samarkand; 3 April 2025 © PHOTO VYACHESLAV OSELEDKO / AFP

For many Asian countries, the tariffs are even higher: 36 per cent for Thailand, 34 per cent for China and 24 per cent for Japan.

According to Tokyo, the policy may violate the rules of the World Trade Organisation and the trade agreement between the two countries. 

 

Donald Trump announces his new tariffs at the White House, 2 April 2025 © PHOTO CHRIS KLEPONIS / CNP VIA ZUMA PRESS WIRE


Related news

Website preview
Trump's new tariff threats trigger surge in Antwerp port activity
The Port of Antwerp is experiencing an unexpected surge in activity following a renewed threat of import tariffs from US president Donald Trump.
belganewsagency.eu
Website preview
Belgium rejects US pressure on corporate diversity policies
Finance minister Jan Jambon, Foreign minister Maxime Prévot and Equal Opportunities minister Rob Beenders have rejected US pressure on the...
belganewsagency.eu

Share

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.

Contact

Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels

www.belganewsagency.eu