Hundreds gather in Leuven to protest against controversial rape case ruling

Hundreds of people gathered in Leuven on Thursday to protest against a recent controversial ruling in a rape case. On Tuesday, the criminal court in Leuven found a medical student guilty of rape but imposed no punishment, citing his promising future.
The verdict sparked outrage and led to street protests in both Leuven and Ghent. Many demonstrators in Leuven carried signs with slogans referring to the judge's reasons for suspending the 24-year-old student's sentence.
"What about her talent?", "Women are also talented and committed" and "His degree over our dignity" were some of the signs of the people who gathered at the Herbert Hooverplein at around 18:00.
'Impunity must stop'
"I don't know a single friend who hasn't been assaulted at least once," said Tess, a 20-year-old student at the University Colleges Leuven-Limburg who joined the protest. "When it happens, it's very difficult to talk about it. But when someone has the courage to talk about it, this happens," she said. "This impunity must stop."
"It's not right for a judge to suspend a sentence because of someone's education and age"
Jonah, a 28-year-old master's student at KU Leuven, also wanted to make her voice heard. "It's not right for a judge to suspend a sentence because of someone's education and age," she said. "The victims have to be taken seriously. This must never happen again."
Prosecutor lodges appeal
The protest was organised by two students, Hanna De Boe and Femke Beutels. "We want to show that sexually inappropriate behaviour is not OK. No woman should ever be a victim of sexual violence again," they said.
"It is also unacceptable that someone who has the prospect of a supposedly good career gets away with it, while someone else who does not have the same career does not."
"It is important to continue this struggle"
The public prosecutor's office in Leuven announced on Tuesday that it had lodged an appeal against the rape verdict, saying it was "inappropriate" that the student's sentence had been suspended.
The fact that the public prosecutor's office called for calm and serenity was no reason for De Boe not to go ahead with the protest. "This is a form of serenity," she said. "We are letting the victims speak, giving them the opportunity to tell their story. It is important to continue this struggle."
#FlandersNewsService | © BELGA PHOTO JILL DELSAUX
Related news